Thursday, August 4, 2011

Where are they now?

It will be exactly six months since I quit my job tomorrow, Friday, August 5, 2011. Never in a million years did I think I would still be looking for a fulltime work. In the beginning I was relishing on the fact I didn't have anyone to answer to except myself and the ability to do whatever I wanted to on a whim. But now without a paycheck coming in it has taken a toll emotionally and has affected all my relationships. Even with the ones I care the most about. There is a sense of bitterness and anger, but mostly frustration of will I ever work again in the capacity I left? I look back on my career, which wasn't by any means uber successful, but one that I was privileged to have coming from a state school background with a low GPA. I feel like an episode of "Where are they now?" Trying to map out my next interview and opportunity as I did when I first came to New York in 1990, circling ads in New York Times and making an appointment with every recruiting firm I could. Back then it was easier to meet and interview without the proliferation of online resume submissions.  I'm convinced no one gets hired through that process.

Needless to say its been an humbling experience and I feel like the world is against me. Is there not one nice person left out there. Is it too much to ask for a response from a friendly email to people that I actually know? Where is the professionalism and followup, just general courtesy that I see lacking in everything and everywhere. If I can't get it from people that work in investment firms, than surely to expect in Dr.'s offices, drugstores, subways is a lost cause. Perhaps its the frustrations coming out, or maybe because I am not working, I have the time to see what's around me and make more careful observations. I hope for the future, it's just me and my frustrations coming out and that humanity is on a better course.

No comments:

Post a Comment